Monday, September 22, 2008

Important Stuff

I have always been a huge Anna Quindlen fan. Her essays on parenting are the few essays I have ever kept. I heard her speak once and felt like she was saying all the things I wish I could, and saying them much more eloquently. I read her essays in Newsweek and some are good and some aren't. I've read all her fiction books and some are good and some aren't. The essay in Newsweek this week really struck me. It's about the presidential election and here's a link to the full text if you have the time and desire to read it- It's called "This is Important" : http://www.newsweek.com/id/160062
Here's the last couple of sentences and the heart of the issue:
Here is the only thing about anyone's kids that matters now: every time you vote you make your kids a promise. It's a promise that you will look past cheap slogans and lazy alliances to try to find a way to make America worthy of a new generation. And if we keep that promise in November, we not only keep faith with our children, we keep faith with the country.