Sunday, December 13, 2009

Kindergarten


I attended kindergarten at St. Martin's Episcopal Kindergarten in Lebanon. I believe (and if I'm wrong my siblings will let me know) I was the only one of my siblings to attend Kindergarten. Before that I went to preschool at Mrs. Eskeldson's preschool at the Presbyterian church. I guess my parents were quite ecumenical in their school choice. I think by the time I came along (#6) my mom was ready for some time with ALL her kids in school. I don't remember much about kindergarten. It seems like it was in a HUGE room and I remember playing "Wizard of Oz" with my friends and all of us fighting over who would be who and skipping along our pretend yellow brick road. Here's a photo of me from my graduation, complete with missing teeth and messy hair. I do seem pretty proud of my "diploma"!


Aaron went to kindergarten at Sunshine Cooperative Preschool and Kindergarten. His was the last class in Dallas to not have public kindergarten. Cooperative school was interesting but often a headache. As I recall, the teacher quit the day before school started and we had to find another one fast and the first one we found didn't work out too well. Parents ran the school and worked in the classroom. I was glad to have Elizabeth and Nate go to public kindergarten. They both went to Morrison, back in the days when all the kindergartners in town went to one building. Now they are split up into the area elementary schools. I helped in all of my kid's classes and that age was one of my favorites. My good friend who teaches kindergarten always has a good story about her kids and the funny things they say and do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I must intercede her. I believe you were the first to attend "pre-school". But not the only one to attend Kindergarten. I was the first to attend St. Martin's Episcopal Kindergarten.

The correct bro

Susan H. said...

Thanks, Mark! I thought I had it a little wrong.