Tuesday, December 15, 2009

KOA


Here's another thing I'm a fan of - KOAs, or Kampgrounds of America (?). I'm not a huge fan of actual camping, camping, but I love their "Kamping Cabins" - cute little log cabins with beds and not much else. They usually have a swing on the front porch and a heater inside. The really nice "Kamping Kottages" have kitchens and bathrooms but I don't think I've ever stayed in one of those. My sister and I have planned whole trips with our kids based on where there were KOAs we could stay in. We also have stayed in them when it was just my sister and I. Last year we did the bridgewalk in Astoria and stayed in one. When I took Aaron to college for the first time, we stayed in one near Eureka. It was dark when we got there and we discovered in the morning it was next to a dairy farm and the railroad tracks. The one in Cascade Locks has been visited numerous times. In this photo Aaron is pointing out the birdhouse next to our Kabin. I wish I could remember where this was but it's hard when they all look the same. I think it might be Leavenworth, WA in 1999. I have this marked as being 1998, however, which was a trip to the San Juans and I don't think we stayed at a KOA that year. Help me out, cousins, what do you think?

4 comments:

The Rambler said...

The vegetation looks coastal to me if that helps.

Allison said...

Aunt Susan--when we went to the San Juans, we tent camped, no KOAs...I think it was the North Cascades trip the next year that was the death of your van...

Elizabeth said...

i trust allie.

Susan H. said...

Problem solved! It wasn't a cousins trip. It was the Waldport KOA in the summer of 1998, so yes, it was coastal. I figured it out by checking other pictures.