Sunday, December 27, 2009

Kristof, Nicholas D

Nicholas Kristof is a columnist for the New York Times. He grew up in nearby Yamhill, Oregon and went on to Harvard and Oxford and has travled and written all over the world, winning the Pulitizer Prize twice. He has a new book out, written with his wife Cheryl WuDunn, called Half the Sky. I've just started it, but it is great and definitely required reading. It's subtitled "turning oppression into opportunity for women worldwide" and that sums it up well. I frequently read his column on the New York Times website and it's always compelling. For Christmas, he has a list of little known charities worth donating to. Check it out here.

1 comment:

No Particular Place to Go said...

Molly gave a donation in our name to International Justice Mission (mentioned in Nick and Sheryl's appendix), with a note that said "I couldn't figure out how to buy you a whole prostitute, but I hope this makes a difference for at least one. Thanks for teaching me how important it is to seek justice for others and show them God's love." That, and Peter's gift of the whole first season of The West Wing, were my favorite presents this year.

I pitched "Half the Sky" in church today, also. A great book. If you want to start a foundation together, let me know. Kim