Monday, December 7, 2009

Kraft Macraroni and Cheese

Me and mac and cheese go way back. I always loved my mom's homemade mac n' cheese but was never too good at replicating it. She made it by boiling the noodles and then melting the cheese in the same pot with them. Once I was married, I learned to make it the Humphrey way from my mother-in-law, baked in the oven with layers of cheese, noodles and crackers. My kids, however, have always preferred the Kraft variety in the famous blue box. I tried unsuccesfully through the years to serve them the generic brand and the organic kind and the healthier kind, but they swore there was a huge difference and would only dine on Kraft. I have fixed hundreds of boxes of Kraft macaroni and cheese. Back in the 90's we even had some Kraft plastic guys we got for sending in box tops. Now, Aaron is in Australia and the macaroni and cheese there is not the same, so he had to save room in his suitcase for some of the blue boxes. Nate still loves it, too, but swears the specialty kind (Spiderman, SpongeBob, etc.) actually tastes better than the original. The only difference I can tell is the boxes are smaller (less ounces) and cost more. At least now he can fix it himself. I've finally moved on and prefer my tweeked version of the Humphrey mac n' cheese but I think Kraft will always hold a special place in my kids' hearts.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

fact: i prefer the humphrey-oven kind. kraft is a close second, though.

Aaron said...

Humphrey-oven kind is a far superior species! And I'm not just talking about macaroni! er...
yeah, homemade is the best. Kraft is just a lot easier!!